- The library operates through Symphony Dynix Library Management Software, an internationally renowned system, which enables the transition to automation of all major functions of the LRC, including cataloguing, searching, circulation, audio-visual booking, acquisitions tracking, reserve functions, and serials management.
- Online Catalogue. This is open to all patrons. There are two (2) computers allocated for this service. Users may refer to the LRC personnel for assistance, if necessary.
- The LRC uses its OPEN SHELF SYSTEM thus, making it easier and more comfortable for the readers to access the materials that they need. They present these to the library personnel for record purposes in the computer system.
- Users should produce a valid ID in order to check out any LRC material.
- The General Collection can be checked out.
- Circulation privileges may be given to faculty, staff, and students that include the borrower's default loan period. The maximum number of loans is automatically checked by the computer and the retention period allowed for each category is as follows:
|Faculty||6 items||4weeks||1||Physical or electronic or by phone||Not less than 7 days from checkout date||SR 1 per item per day||SR 30||Replace or pay the double cost of item|
|Students||4 items||2weeks ||1||-do-||-do-||-do-||-do-||-do-|
Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Atlases, etc.
Need Librarian's approval
Non-circ if there is only 1 copy available
7. External Users.
The management may accept RC employees and citizens of Jubail like "Friends of the JUC Learning Resource Center" who want to avail of the LRC services.
If books are out on loan, inform the LRC staff to reserve these for you. You can also visit the OPAC (Library catalogue) and do the following procedures:
- Go to the Library Catalogue
- Click Search using the Author Keyword
- Click the Title you want and the requested item
- Enter your barcode to reserve the item.
A maximum number of renewals a borrower can make for a single item is one only. A borrower may renew as many items as she wants and this is automatically determined by the computer system.
The LRC personnel reserve the right to recall any item, but not less than seven (7) days from the checkout date.
11. Overdue Materials.
Borrowing privileges shall be suspended if they exceed the due date as specified by the system. Anyone who exceeds the grace period given shall be deprived of loan privileges for the whole semester. The university reserves the right to withhold grades of final examination, if necessary, and apart from this; a fine shall be applied even during non-working days that is equivalent to one riyal per item per day.
12. Lost and Damaged Materials.
Lost books must be reported to the LRC personnel and the borrower is required to replace or pay the cost of the material/s. The borrower is required to fill out the form at the Circulation Desk and pay directly to the Department of Administrative and Financial Affairs of the College.
13. LRC Content:
- Reference and Circulation Services
- Innovative Current Awareness Services
- Internet Access
- Word Processing
- Reservation of Books
- Selective Dissemination of Information
- Library Orientation Programs
- Electronic Mail Notices
- Electronic Document Delivery System
- Information Retrieval System
Interlibrary loans. Students enrolled in other tertiary institutions operated by the Royal Commission, such as the Jubail Industrial College and Jubail Technical Institute, are also granted access through interlibrary loans.
- Readers' Guidance/ Path Finders
Reading and other types of competitions in collaboration with the English Language Department
- Many others
14. LRC Users' Responsibilities:
- The students are required to carry their Identification Cards.
- The card can be used only by its legitimate holder.
- Removal of any material from the library must be duly authorized and recorded.
- Everyone is encouraged to study, read and work in the LRC quietly.
- Anyone who causes disruption in the LRC premises shall be asked to leave silently.
Library users caught defacing library materials shall be barred from using the resources for a specified period. There is a fine to cover all damages for the material.
- Food and drinks are strictly prohibited.
- The use of mobile phones is prohibited.
- The use of compact disk players and other musical devices is prohibited.
- Any patron is free to ask the LRC personnel for any help she needs.
- Keep discussions to a minimum level.
- Sleeping is not allowed inside the library.
Security. A security system is in place at the entrance to protect LRC properties. In the event of the alarm being triggered, the concerned person should step back, and the LRC staff has the right to inspect the possessions of the affected person/s. If anyone is found taking out LRC property without following the proper checkout procedures, this will be dealt with accordingly by the Student Affairs office.
15. LRC Sections:
General Collection. These are materials related to the academic curriculum. Materials include books on the English language, business, Interior design, and management information systems, basic and advanced computing, and many others.
Reference Section. This section contains general and specialized references such as: Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Atlases, Gazetteers, Almanacs, Maps, Bibliographies, Catalogs, Manuals, etc.
Periodicals and Journals Section. This section houses journals, newspapers and magazines which have been subscribed to or are under free subscription from other entities. The following are but a few of the periodicals and journals available: National Geography, Newsweek, Architectural Design, Economist and Times, JUC Times, Arab News and Saudi Gazette and some important Arabic newspapers like: Al Yuam, Al Etisadiah, Al Madina, Asharq Al-Aswat, al Riyadh and Al Jazirah.
Audio-visual Materials Section. This section houses the CD-Rom, DVD-Rom and other multimedia resources that support the academic programs of the college. DVDs, CDs and videos are kept in cupboards behind the circulation desk and are accessible upon request.
Online Databases. The JUC LRC subscribes to some databases like Business Source by EBSCO that provides bibliographic and full text content of materials and others. The LRC is continuously growing and it plans to subscribe to more online databases for the academic community. There are also free online subscriptions which can automatically be accessed by the users for their studies.
Students' Work Corner. This section houses the most important works of the students in the college like interior design projects, English projects and many others. They are placed in one corner and can be used as reference by the students who take similar courses in JUC.
Donations and Gifts Corner. The library welcomes donations of materials as gifts.
Arabic Collection. One of the most important collections in the LRC is the Arabic collection that includes the books about Arabic language, culture, history and reference materials like Arabic Dictionaries, atlases, maps and others.
Vertical Files. The library keeps important articles in the form of clippings from newspapers and these are kept in the vertical file cabinet. Clippings are arranged alphabetically thereunder by subject and date.
Research Section. This section houses the materials for educational research, materials/articles taken from the Internet that were compiled, conferences/seminars or kits whether local or international, theses and dissertations, annotations and abstracts, researches coming from the students and faculty members or a publication which has research value.
Course Files. These are on CD-ROMs submitted by the faculty members of each department. Course files include examples of: quizzes, students' results of assessments like quizzes, major examinations and finals for documentation purposes. These are kept in a cabinet that can be accessed only by the teachers of JUC for reference use.